Sunday

Clothing

May 24th, 1864 
Camp 8th Regt. Conn Vols 
near Bermuda Hundred, Va 

Dear Celia, 

I am having quite a leisure day. Yesterday was a quiet day also, but my time was taken up by washing and putting my clothes in order.

Dwight and I dipped into the wash tub (an ammunition box) bright and early.

A clear day and sultry sun took the damp out of the articles double quick, and ere the middle of the afternoon. I had my stockings mended, shirt and drawers neatly folded and stowed in knapsack (the soldier’s wardrobe, chest, and general depository of everything).

Dwight lost one of his Homemade shirts and seems to begrude the rebels the article...




I must close. 
With Brotherly affection 
I am as ever
Jay Nettleton


Copyright © 2011 Gunn Memorial Museum. All Worldwide Rights Reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment