Sunday

Pressure To Reenlist

Judea is an early name for the town of Washington Connecticut. In 1863 the army suspended furloughs, but offered a leave to all who reenlisted for three more years of service. Those who reenlisted would be shipped home to Connecticut and celebrated as "veterans" upon their arrival. 


Portsmouth
December 2, 1863

Dear Henry and all others at Home;

Dwight arrived safely this afternoon, well as a fish. I conclude he thinks the trip paid well...

It is doubtful that you see more of Judea boys until after the 5th of January, unless they come as Veteran Volunteers on a Furlough. Furloughs have stopped in our regiment, and we can’t account for the fact only that they want as many as possible to reenlist and think some will do it for the sake of going home. 

I have only to say that when I have served three years then will be the time to talk with them. Money did not cause me to go; it will never cause me to reenlist. Other causes may.

What a fine chance to put $700.00 into one’s purse or add so much to the private Bank! I have such a high estimation of men as to believe that more men will enlist for the mere dollars than any other cause...

I must close. with Brotherly affection 
Jay Nettleton


Copyright © 2011 Gunn Memorial Museum. All Worldwide Rights Reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment